Friday, July 22, 2011

THIS GIRL'S NEW YORK CITY ADVENTURE...AND IT BEGINS WITH A RESTAURANT


I love New York City.  But this year, the visit was not in my plan!

My daughter, Her Highness, saved her money and paid her third of her tuition and travel for her study at the Joffrey Ballet in New York City this summer.  This year, the visit was in Her plan!  However, because I was unsettled with her travel and needed to get her settled into this summer program, I, now, made it my plan.  A plan for an adventure!

And  it was on one airplane from Chicago (ORD) to Newark (EWR) where our, or maybe more so, my adventure begins....

...and it begins with a restaurant!

On that ORD to EWR airplane, Her Highness takes the window seat, I squeeze into the middle, and Some Stranger sprawls the aisle. As Her Highness takes her seat, she clicks her seat belt, slips in her earphones, turns on her i-tunes, and quickly and suddenly falls into a slumber so deep I'm concerned she's unable to revive herself.  So I'm left with my own thoughts.  My thoughts, in these moments, are wonders of if,  how, what, and when I should talk with Some Stranger.  And while the introverted Me and extroverted Me are negotiating the if, how, what and when conversation, little did I know that Some Stranger would soon launch our New York City Adventure.  The launch would begin with the talk of a restaurant.

Some Stranger speaks! ...with the typical airplane small-talk that goes something like this:

"I didn't think I'd make this connection," or
"I'm not particularly fond of take-offs," or
"Do you know what time we get in?" 

Sliding into the...

“Where are you froms?”
“Why are you visitings?”
“What do you dos?”

...and now The Launch.

"You would never know it is there," he says.
"It's the best food in town," he swears.
"And the best scallops around," he announces.
"They serve a fantastic......

**** Paella*****

he exclaims.

My ears perk up as my mouth waters and my jaw drops as my lips form to exclaim...


PAELLA???!!

"Where is it?"
"What's it called?"
"How did you discover it?"

Well, apparently....

His girlfriend
  has a friend
    who has a boyfriend
       who has a best friend
          who recommended this little "hole in the ground"
              on Charles Street
                in a residential  neighborhood
                   in The Village
                      called El Charro "something", a Spanish restaurant…..with


PAELLA!

We make introductions.  We exchange cards.  He says he'll e-mail me the name....if I promise to try it.

Claro!

As intrigued as I am, though,  it does bring up a dilemma.  I currently hold, in my wallet, one Groupon for one Paella at one Spanish restaurant on the Lower Eastside.  Oliva.

Is it appropriate to try out two Paellas in one week in an alien City…or would I be jinxing my culinary experience in a City where the pizza, the bagels and the Dim Sim are a requisite?

I, by now, am giving that dilemma no more than that one thought as Me and Her Highness step off that plane into New Jersey and tumble into "21's" car, with treats, baggage and bodies.  21's New Jersey home would be our home base for the next week.  In and out.  Back and forth.  To stay…or not stay.

That night as we finally get to home-base, 21's husband, an Engineer who was recently laid off just in time to be at our beck and call, is called to action.  21 demands, and without no-explicatives, (of which I mustn’t repeat), "Tomorrow morning, take them to the bus.”  And, thereafter, plans are being made and it's off to bed.

But before we go to bed, I plug in, open up, and check my e-mail...and there in my inbox is a message from Some Stranger:

"It's called,
El Charro Espanol
You must go"

I give it a second thought, but then no more than that.  I'm tired.

The very next morning, after 21 leaves for work, the grumbling begins and that Engineer, at 7:30 am, that very next day, takes us to the Willowbrook Mall Stop to catch a bus to Port Authority.

We get there just in time for Standing Room Only.

Standing on the bus for a 40 minute ride into the City is enough to wear a teenager out.  I had not, until now, entertained the probability that 17 year old legs ain’t what they used to be, and could, quite possibly, have a difficult time keeping up with mine.  So...I bribe that teenager and her caboose at the top of those 17 year old legs with a chai latte and a 40 minute seat at the Dean & Delacu coffee bar just across the street from the Port Authority.

We then decide to explore the neighborhood. 

Times Square
Rockefeller Center
St. Patrick's Cathedral
Then...


United Nations Headquarters.


After an adequately long wait for the tour…

…we get one cheeky Argentinian-French Guide, who speaks 5 and a half languages, teaches us of War and Peace while quizzing us on Peace and War and guides us through….


The United Nations Security Council's Chamber

He then teaches us of countries and lands that we never knew existed before
he shows us…


The United Nations General Assembly Room

We learn that at that podium, at the front of that room, has stood, as long ago as the most recent past,

Queens and Kings,
  Dictators and Presidents,
and...

....Gustav, the Janitor,
whose disinfectant cleans that podium once on every day of every week.


Following a generous 3 hour study about the U.N., we walk down 42nd past 1st Avenue and we stumble onto and into this building…

The Ford Foundation Building


It looks like "Trespassing" behind those doors, but curiosity wins over hesitancy and we open those doors…

I am in awe.  Her Highness is in awe.
This is the most beautiful building with the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen!


…and we are both mesmerized!


…by No Admission Charge! 


We make a wish.  I make two.





And not quite 45 minutes later, our bellies call for
Veselka for a lunch of pierogies and sour cream or pierogies and apple sauce, whichever one prefers.

I have one pour of the wine.  I'm on vacation.

We eat.  We drink.  We talk.  We catch up with our text machines and social media device.

Following lunch, a failed search for "Midnight in Paris" leads us to a tiring shopping trip in Soho, which forces us into an early bus back to home-base, which takes us right back to Willowbrook Mall, which is where a car awaits for a trip back to the house, where an early supper and one more sleep is in store.

…however, not before I plug in, open up, and check my e-mail...and there in my inbox from Some Guy is…

El Charro Espanol
“Did you go yet?”

Hmmmm…I’m curious.  And I give it, this time, more than two thoughts.
This restaurant must be good.  How can I fit it in?

Next morning: 

It's off to Willowbrook Mall to get to…

·         A coffee and bagel at Grand Central Station
·         A ride with big luggage on the Metro North
·         A stop and an eat in Katonah, Connecticut
·         Then more of Connecticut with lots to explore...

We stay here...






"the (my) dream house"





                                                                           
                                                                We canoe!




First time ever we (well, I) see these...
Lily pads blooming!


Later, we hike, visit, snack, drink, and eat with Guapo...and then talk and giggle with Guapo and friend so much that we can hardly control our bladders, so by the end of the night, well.....all I can say is...diapers should have been in order.

Following that fun day and later that night, before Her Highness and Me climb into the big bed, in the beautiful bedroom, overlooking the gorgeous lake, under the fabulous moon, I plug in, open up, and check my e-mail.... and there in my inbox from Some Stranger is:

El Charro Espanol
"Let me know how you liked it"

Now I’m a little embarrassed to say I haven’t tried it yet, despite it being only the 2nd day there.  However, I think and respond:  Come hell or high water....

The very next morning:

We hop on the Metro-North, heading south

                           and we have to...
wheel off the train,
squeeze into the elevator,
shove through a turnstile,
and throw into a cab...

...the too-much-too-big

mandatory luggage Her Highness must bring for her time with The Joffrey.

20 minutes later, these two bodies, four hands, four legs, and too-much-too-big luggage are dumped out in front of the Park 79 Hotel where we have a room closet for the next couple nights.  And, thankfully, Park 79 kindly takes those Big Boys off our hands to store while we wait for our check in.  Now, we still have hours to kill.

So it's off to Central Park, but not before:

·         A walk-by the Dakota
·         A walk down Columbus
·         A walk-by the Dorms for the Joffrey
·         A walk-up Broadway
·         Le Pain Quotidien for a lunch and…

a couple of thirst-quenchers


Watermelon and Mint Lemonades

Following lunch, it’s Central Park for…

 ...Outdoor Adventures


As I'm happily thrust into my element with...

·         Hiking
·         Biking
·         Camping
·         Rock Climbing
·         Free drinks
·         Free snacks
·         Free bike-tryer-out-ings
·         Free rock climbing-tryer-out-ings

The teenager takes the wind out of my sails.  She "needs" to…

·         Chill-ax
·         Read
·         Make flower necklaces all on a patch of grass on the other side of the Park.

So I trade in my free bike-tryer-out-ing and my free rock climbing-tryer-out-ting for…

(stated with an eye-rolling-topped-off-with a bit -bunch-of-a-sarcastic attitude)

·         Chill-axing
·         Watching the clouds pass by
·         Playing with my social media/picture taking device

And after a chill-axation in the Park, yet not without an embarrassing disorientation through The Ramble, the day is consummated by…

·         One teenage nap
·         Two showers
·         A force-off the C train
·         A final escape from the Village
·         name-change from “Mommy” to “MOther…”




 Then Oliva at 1st and Houston for dinner with a Groupon!  Hallelujah! We get to eat!  And that one Groupon gets us…

2 waters, 1 raspberry Margarita, 1 calamari tapas, 1 flan and 1 share of the...

PAELLA!!!

We are starved!
And it is fantastic!


Muy deliciouso!
Her Highness agrees!

The mussels in that Paella are the most flavorful I have ever had!
That Paella gets a 9 for the seafood, a 7 for the rice!
Overall, I'd say something like an 8-and-a-half!


Next it's Woody Allen's, "Midnight in Paris" 
A French Bakery for macarons
Then back to our room closet at the Park 79, Upper Westside, for one sleep before Sunday.

Nevertheless, before Sunday begins, Saturday must end, and before it must end, I plug in, open up, and check my e-mail....and there in my inbox is an e-mail from Some Stranger:

El Charro Espanol
"Did you go? Was it worth it just yet?"

My answer:
"Tomorrow: El Charro.
 I'll let you know what I get."

Then Sunday morning after an unimpressive mass at St. Patrick's, I begin a blister-inducing stroll across town to buy some bagels at the H&H Bagels...just because somebody told me to...

And I see this….




and this...





As I get closer to the H&H Bagels, at and around 46th and 12th, on the Hudson River, I see this...



…all while Her Highness is asleep in her bed, in our room closet, at Park 79 Hotel on the Upper Westside.  As I'm making my way back to the Hotel, in my thoughts, I sort out the plan for the day...

I wake up Her Highness by texting her on my social media device.  She is up, but not before I am two blocks away.  She dresses, eats a bagel, and brushes the teeth...all while I'm desperately searching for the closest place to buy coffee so I may continue my day.

Plan for the day begins...but not long after tackling what is #1 on the itinerary, all things go askew!  And nothing goes as planned.  Note the below Plan vs. Actual.

            PLAN           ACTUAL
·         Joffrey Dorm Check in
·         Joffrey Check in
·         Little Italy pizza lunch
·         Joffrey Check in
·         Brooklyn Bridge
·         Joffrey Check in
·         Macy’s
·         Around the corner pizza lunch
·         Toys R Us
·         Bed Bath and Beyond on Broadway
·         Practice hailing a cab (Her Highness)
·         Trader Jos on Broadway
·         Practice run to Joffrey Chelsea Studios
·         Fruit Stand
·         Practice run to Joffrey Village Studios
·         Clean dirty room
·         Grocery shopping for dorm food
·         Her Highness: evening meeting
·         El Charro Espanol for Paella
·         Me: meet friends for Not El Charro Espanol


The only activity in our original afternoon plan?
Her Highness and Her Hand....Hailing a Cab!
And a superb-ious Hail, she demonstrates!

And later that day, I find out that my daughter has a dorm meeting at 7 and will be unable to make dinner.

So, El Charro Espanol for 1?

Nope!  21 and The Engineer call.  They and their son want to come into the City for dinner.

So, El Charro Espanol for 4?

Nope!  If they take a trip into the City, they want Steak and Seafood. None of that paella stuff, they say.  So reluctantly tonight I succumb.

Instead.  We give up a seating on the patio of what looks to be fabulous food of which the most accommodating Manager of a little French Restaurant, Bistro Citron, on 83rd and Columbus, was desperately trying to make work for us.  People are hungry so we give it up for what?   For Oceana Seafood, the most expensive yet adequate food, crappy service, waiting-over-an-hour-for-patio-seating-and-never-getting-it, over-rated seafood restaurant "in the world!"  And we don't get seated until 10.

Although, a bajillion dollars later, I do have a lovely night with my lovely friends, while missing my lovely daughter, and come back to my lovely hotel room closet where I plug in, open up and check my e-mail...and there in my inbox is an e-mail from Some Stranger:

El Charro Espanol.
"Sooooo????"

I am too embarrassed to respond.  And I am bitter!

The next two days in the City are great.  21 meets me Monday. 

We:
·         Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
·         Lombardi's, Little Italy for Pizza
·         Walk the Village
·         Walk through Chelsea
·         Walk the Highline
·         Drinks on the Hudson

Then back to 21's New Jersey home for a taco salad, a talk and then to bed.  

But not before I plug in, open up and check my e-mail.

But no e-mail from Some Stranger in my inbox.

I go to bed.

Tuesday, alone in the City, I:

do this…
.

The Met: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty





Then I do this...

                                                               





and this...







And back to this…




The Met: Modern and Contemporary Art





Yet, on that very last day, in between all that, I take a walk/ride down to the Chelsea Studios.  I get one last shot!  For lunch, I pick up Her Highness and Her Friend, take the subway down to Christopher Street, walk up 7th Ave. scurry right onto Charles and there it is...







...a cute little unassuming restaurant in the basement of a brownstone in the middle of a short little residential street in The Village.  They are open for lunch!


We step down the steps into what is a quite charming little restaurant....we step down into...

El Charro Espanol!

One Paella Please!  

Here comes the tragic twist!  


I can't order a Paella.  It takes 20 minutes to cook + more time to eat.  I don't have the time.

As I pass through the disappointment, I decide it isn't so tragic because I'm still excited to actually be there and taste any part of this cuisine that has been highly recommended.

We order and eat Two rich, tasty Cheese Enchiladas, One incredibly flavorful Beef Enchilada, and a delicious Seafood Soup with amazing scallops with a most savory base.

They say they have the best Margaritas in town!  So, of course, I had to order one of those.  I'm on vacation.  The best in town?  Well...let's put it this way...I know they would be the best in L.A.

If it were my choice, I would break the bank to eat and sit there for hours. This restaurant more than lives up to the reputation given by Some Stranger.  But I must get the girls to their class.
Next visit, next time:  The Paella. Something to look forward to.

I am happy.  And that day ends with...

·         One last stroll and "chill-ax" with me, myself and I in Central Park
·         A quick dinner with Her Highness
·         On the subway to Port Authority
·         Standing room only on the bus back to NJ for one last night

Just as we entered the first time in the City standing on a bus, I left the final time in the City standing on a bus.  And just when I thought my adventure was over, I got a little surprise.  While standing on that bus with one Big Salad in one hand and a Diet Dr. Pepper in the other, trying to balance on a bus going 70 mph, and thinking I should've got a bag to carry my food and drink, One Stranger, who was sitting beside me watching my struggle, said to me:

"I notice you don't have a bag for that Big Salad and Diet Dr. Pepper.  I have a plastic bag right here in my purse.  I don't know why it's here.  I never carry a plastic bag in my purse...I always keep a very neat purse.  So this must be for you!"  And she handed me the bag.  And One Stranger gave me exactly what I needed!

Me, full of gratitude and appreciation, said to One Stranger:  "Thank you.  Thank you. Thank you very much."

It was at that moment that it occurred to me, not like a thought I ever had before, that sometimes the strangers who come in and out of your life, if only for a few minutes, can make a bigger impact than one would be aware.  In this adventure, I was lucky to have two.  Two strangers.  Two gifts.  But, most importantly, these two strangers made me aware of what kind of stranger I want to be to others.  And I want to be just like them.

Immediately when I got back to New Jersey...

I got ready for bed,
plugged in,
opened up
and checked my e-mail,
and full of gratitude and appreciation, I wrote.

And this time, Some Stranger got in HIS inbox when he plugged in, opened up, and checked his e-mail...

El Charro Espanol

"The restaurant was charming!  The food was delicious!  The restaurant far exceeded my expectations.  
I now have a NYC favorite.
(etc. etc. etc.)

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you very much!"


Ciao for now!
k

Highlights and Recommendations:

Bistro Citron
http://www.bistrocitronnyc.com/

Brooklyn Bridge
http://brooklyn.about.com/od/brooklynbridge/a/How-To-Walk-The-Brooklyn-Bridge-Manhattan-To-Brooklyn-Brooklyn-To-Manhattan.htm

El Charro Espanol
http://www.el-charro-espanol.com/

Ford Foundation Building
http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/ford/

Groupon
http://www.groupon.com/new-york/

The Met: Savage Beauty
http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/about/

Oliva
http://www.olivanyc.com/

Park 79
http://www.park79.com/

Trader Jo's, Broadway
http://www.yelp.com/biz/trader-joes-new-york-5

United Nations HQ
http://visit.un.org/wcm/content/

Veselka
http://veselka.com/





3 comments:

  1. Very nice! And definitely want to try to remember that restaurant for the next time I go to New York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being "The Engineer" what does "19" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well..."19" is supposed to be "21" which is now corrected...she is referenced in a post in January titled Old Friends, No Wrinkles....give it a read! My bad on the name correction! (oops)

    ReplyDelete