Wednesday, March 2, 2011

THE OSCARS....WITH SHRIMP!

Every year, since the beginning of time, 8 girls, four daughters, one dog and a cat get invited for a viewing of both the Red Carpet and the Academy Awards at NaK's house.  Some years All show + four daughters, one dog and a cat.  Other years Some show + some daughters, one dog and a cat.  Every year 2 girls show + two daughters, one dog and a cat.  Definitely NaK.  Definitely Me.  Girls brings things.  Different things.  But there's always cheese...with wine!

The day has finally arrived!  I'm excited.  I have seen many of the movies.  And tonight I'm allowed to have my daughter with me while hanging with my bestest of friends.

So I arrive, along with Her Highness, to the NaK-attack viewing of...

THE 83RD ACADEMY AWARDS
(unfortunately Starring the Hathaway-Franco Team)

Attendees - Best Friends, Best Daughters
NaK
JT
The Twins, Andie and Alie
The Photographer
LaRs
Her Highness
Her Majesty
Her Royal Majesty
The Dog
The Cat
Me

We arrive...vegies and dip in hand......with wine....and diet coke, the go-to drink after filled with wine.

NaK, Her Majesty (NaK's daughter), Alie (one of the twins), and LaRs are lounging in front of the TV...in front of the big pile of money...in front of ballots strewed over table-tops.  The Red Carpet has begun, however, no one pays attention.  No worries.  Her Majesty has the remote; they have TiVo.


So...let's get the Red Carpet out of the way!

BEST DRESSED


FOR ME, IT'S A TIE!

Actually, I must confess, as many times as that TiVo is rewound, I do not see or choose my Best Dressed until later that evening...

...and that TiVo is rewound over and over and over again.  But, yet, I never see a red carpet.  7 gabby girls plus food plus wine plus betting leads to a zero attention span for the Red Carpet. 

We sit down...actually kneel down.  We take a pen.  We throw down 10 bucks.  We fill out our ballots.  A Real Live Ballot.  Like...an authentic ballot.  NaK has connections.  Well... I shouldn't say "We."  Her Highness has a job and she's much smarter with her money than I.  She does not wager.

I figured out long time ago that I have two ways to vote.  What one feels should win...versus...What one thinks will win.  I am unemployed.  I go with What one thinks will win.  Except the documentary feature.  I "feel" strongly about that one.  Sadly, I lose on that one.

Some of my choices:

Actor:   Colin Firth
Winner!
Supporting Actor:  Christian Bale
Winner!
Actress:  Natalie Portman
Winner!
Supporting Actress:  Melissa Leo
Winner!
Animated Feature:  Toy Story 3
Winner!
Foreign Language Film:  Biutiful
FAIL!
Documentary Feature:  Restrepo
FAIL!
Animated Short Film:  The Lost Thing
Winner!
Live Action Short Film:  The Confession
FAIL!
Best Director:  The King's Speech
Winner!
Best Picture:  The King's Speech
Winner!

Lookin' pretty good up above.  So...do I win the pot of gold?  Stay tuned.

Menu?

Ahi tuna poke, chips and dip, vegies and dip, broccoli salad, warm brie and cranberry with crackers and...

this year's special....


 ...the shrimp,

shrimp, shrimp....
and more shrimp....tasty shrimp...with tasty sauce and..
......with a whole bucket o' wine!


It's almost time to get that TiVo started!

The other Twin, Andie arrives.
The other Twin, Alie leaves.
Wait, don't go....you're twins? 

JT is here.  Andie throws down her cash.  Picks up her ballot.  JT doesn't have cash.  But picks up a ballot.  However, since JT doesn't have cash, she must write a check.  The Movie-Bet-Borrowing-Money situation ended for her last year.  She needs to build her Movie-Bet-Borrowing-Money credit back up with us.  It may take a couple years.  So no check, no bet!!!

We don't wait for The Photographer.  It's late!  She can catch up. 

With another pour of the wine and more and more shrimp, Her Majesty presses play and The Academy Awards begin.

Cute beginning.  Kinda funny. 
But has it been done before?  Yes!

And the winner goes to....!!!!

I win!
I win!
I lose!
I win!
crap!
hooray!
whatever!

The Photographer walks in and behind her Her Royal Majesty.

Then...Pause!  WT...???  Oh, yeah...Her Majesty has control of the remote.

CeCe had walked in with Quib, 2 aunts and an uncle...all visiting from Spain.  Cool!  Spanish Peoples at the Oscars.  Red Carpet has Javier so we get some Spanish Peoples too.  I learn the language real quick and have a pleasant conversation with the Young at Heart, 82 year old...with JT at my side.  I am surprising myself at how much I understand the language...until I finally acknowledge that JT is translating into my ear.  I must say, though, I am listening to the aunt's spirit more than her words.  She is just fabulous!


They have wine.  We have more wine.  We eat shrimp.  They have shrimp.  Quib, Aunt and Uncle leave.  Young at Heart wants to stay.  CeCe won't leave her behind. We make a good impression. Yay for Americans (and one Canadian and one German)!   She makes a good impression. Yay for the Spaniards!

"Back to the show, Her Majesty!" 

So just after one Play-press, one more pour of the wine, and a bit more shrimp, we are revisited by the Not-So-Bestest Oscar show....and STILL, unfortunately, starring...

The Over-Compensating-Hathaway-with-the-Exceedingly-Stoned-Franco Team!


So...8 girls, 3 daughters and one aunt later we are no longer listening to the show unless we hear "And the Winner Is..."  And as we win our category...cheers become astoundingly louder as the night wears on.  Consequently, The Dog and The Cat had left the room long time ago. 

Then...finally, it's over.  I was beginning to think it was no longer inevitable that there would be an end. 

We count our ballots.  NaK wins me by 3.  Crap!  She beats more people by more.  And the evening is finished.  NaK gets the pay out and we all grab our dishes.  We notice that there is one shrimp left.  It's all alone.  Kinda looking pathetic.



One lonely shrimp! 


Someone has to eat it.  After all, there are starving children in China.  But you know, it is, most probably, that shrimp that you think, just might, possibly, be left behind for a reason.  A very bad reason!  A very disgustingly bad reason!  A so disgustingly bad reason of which everyone else knows about but you.  They tell me to eat it.  I say no.  They say yes.  I say no.  They say yes.  They say yes. 

"A Compromise? I ask."  So the lonely shrimp gets snuggled up in tin foil, with only it's little tail sticking out...and they stick it in and down between my boobs.  Great...that's lovely perfume!

Side View



Front View

(note: my favorite view. looks like I have bigger boobs than I actually have.)

So that shrimp accompanied me home that night, along with Her Highness....and the not too pleasant after-smell!!!  A late-night shower was definitely in order.  And if that smell lingers, "They" will no longer be my BFFs.

So that was the evening.  The evening that closed my 2010 movie-going-watching adventure.  This year I would call it: The Oscars with Shrimp!  We girls have found a lot of excuses to get together throughout the years.  We need those excuses.  Use it or lose it.  And, this time of year it's always the love of movies that brings together The Best Friends.

Or shall I say Boob Friends?

Ciao for now!
k






No comments:

Post a Comment