Friday, February 11, 2011

DISTRACTION-IZED

This week I was Distractionized!


You know, when you start a project and get completely distracted by another project...and loose track of your original intention?  Or maybe you don't.  But I do.  Quite often. This week, no different.  I was like a dog hot on the trail of a burglar when a cat crosses it's path and it tears off after the cat instead.  This week was an example of that. 

Aaaah...this week I gotta Organize Schmorganize!

THE PROJECT LIST:

Clean out/organize dresser drawers
Clean out/organize bathroom drawers and cupboards
Clean out/organize car glove compartment

Simple, right? Hmmmm...

Wednesday Objective:

Clean out Bathroom Drawers
Clean out Dresser Drawers

Wednesday, Actually:

Clean out/organize Freezer
Clean out/organize Closet

My first intention, the bathroom drawers.  My first distraction....The Freezer.  The everything-stuffed-to-the-back-of-the-freezer Freezer.  I open it to retrieve some ice for a cup of water.

I am DISTRACTIONIZED!   I pull.  I dump.  I take apart.  I scrub.  I clean.  I re-schmorganize.
Freezer meat, freezer vegies, freezer fruit, a big freezer block of ice...and one hidden freezer frozen chocolate bar.  All freezered up.  Toss!  I keep one miniature pizza, 2 bags of frozen vegies, coffee beans, ahi tuna, a salmon, a bag of gnocchi, 9 frozen pirogi, 8 cold packs, 3 packs of butter, the ice in the box, and a bottle of vodka.

Oh, and a hockey puck!

Don't ask.
I don't have an answer




Justification:  More storage...less freezer burn. 
But I still can't cross anything off the list.

I ignore, still, the bathroom drawers.  I decide to tackle the dresser drawers.  Then again, before I reach the dresser drawers, I'm halted by a glance over to my closet.


I am DISTRACTIONIZED!  I pull.  I pack.  I toss.  I clean.  I find "missing clothes."  I find the "Professional" looking clothes.  Part of my search for work. Yeah!  I need to start on that.  So I mirror model.  Alotta mirror-modeling.  These don't fit.  These still fit.  This is a wreck.  That goes with this.  This goes with that.  I realize that I have been wearing the same clothes to the same office in the same basement of a building where nobody would think twice of walking into.  So there was no dressing for impressing.  I'm having fun.  And I'm pleasantly surprised that I have at least 5 days of working-girl clothes.  I'm looking forward to the future. I then put the shirts on the upper...pants on the lower...dresses to the right...scarves to the left.  Voila!  The closet is done.

Justification:  New wardrobe and one more step toward finding work.  
But still can't cross anything off the list.

Time is up, Wednesday.

Thursday Objective:

Clean out bathroom drawers
Clean out dresser drawers
Clean out glove compartment

Thursday, Actually:
Biutiful
Clean out/organize dresser drawers

Thursday morning an Arclight Cinema members e-mail pops up.  It occurs to me that I have one more foreign film to see...Biutiful. 

I am DISTRACTIONIZED!   I pick my seat.  I buy my ticket.  I watch my movie.  Yes, my movie...private screening.  I'm the only one in the theater. 


Justification: Something I can cross of a list.
But still can't cross anything off the list.

I walk out.  A depressing movie.  A guilty conscience. Was it worth it?

Okay, dresser drawers.

I come home.  I pull. I clean. I mirror-model.  I mirror-model again.  I mirror-model some more.  I toss. I pack.  I re-schmorganize.  I am done!   And, finally, after 40 some years of sticking stuff in dressers, I learned myself a little something.  Roll and tuck.  Not fold and stack. That's how I pack.  That's now how I store.  And why not? This way I can fit more into my little tiny dresser drawers than Mariah Carey can fit into one wall of her house-closet.  Well, not quite.  But almost.



Justification:  IT'S ON THE LIST!  I did it!  I checked one off the list.  And it's only Thursday! Ha!

Time up, Thursday.

Friday Objective
Clean out/organize bathroom drawers
Clean out the glove compartment

Friday, Actually
Glove compartment
TBD

It's Friday morning.  And, yes, so far I did the glove compartment.

I pulled.  I tossed.  I re-schmorganized.

I found the vehicle handbook, AAA Guide, 2007 2008 2009 and 2010 proof of insurance, 2008 2009 2010 registration, multiple CDs, a wedding program, a yoga gift certificate, a print out of Lectures on Modern European Intellectual History: Plato, the Allegory of the Cave (?), personal deposit slips, allergy medicine, a pen, a charger, a lipstick, some scissors, some tape and...

Yarn and a Knitting Needle???

Don't ask.
I don't knit and I don't have an answer.

So I'm 2/3rds there.  Even though I was distractionized, I am now more on my way to being organized.  And with that said, I am very excited.  I did more schmorganizing than I set out to do.  I crossed another thing off another list.  And I learned that not-very-too-old dogs can learn new tricks!

Is this what really gets a middle-aged girl excited?  Apparently so!  For this girl it does!  For this week, anyway!

Ciao for now!
k

No comments:

Post a Comment