Monday, February 21, 2011

OFF TO THE OPERA....kinda

About a month ago I reminded The Husband that I have never seen an opera.  Ever!  Not even on T.V.  I have seen plays, musicals, rock concerts, and classical concerts.  Many classical concerts.  Too many classical concerts.

I have never been to the Opera!


3 weeks later...

...The Husband is offered two free tickets to the Opera...kinda!

It's surprising that I have a Husband that:

Number 1. studied voice in college

Number 2. has a Masters in conducting

Number 3. has a close college friend who is now only the most famous opera star in the world!

Yet, He has never taken me to the opera.

The Husband came close to taking me once.  His friend was in town.  He called up.  The assistant called back. 

"Of course!  There will be two tickets for you...we are able to swing two orchestra seats, third row, center and they will be waiting for you...

...at will call....

...at 350 bucks each!"

And...No Thank You, Please!!!

Although, I did get a chance to see his friend perform one Operatic piece...once....for free.  It was the L.A. Phil season opening.  Our senses were treated to One Gorgeous Dress with One Beautiful Voice singing One Fantastic Opera Piece.  Payback was to sit through the rest of the concert.  That was a treat for the restless legs.  Backstage, I met his friend.  His friend is nice.

So, last week, The Husband calls me up. 

Would you like to go to The Opera tonight....kinda?  I have two free tickets. However, we can't get there until the Second Act.  And...it's a Dress Rehearsal.  There may be stop and goes.  Probably not.  But could be.

I say Yes! I usually say Yes! I'm easy!

Hmmmm...dress up or dress down for a dress rehearsal?  I decide, dress up!

I dress up... black, black, black, black, black....and purple!  The scarf, purple.

We're going to see...


Never heard of it.  But, then again, I believe I can only name 3 operas...under pressure.  If you ask me at this very moment, while relaxed, I can only come up with one.  The Merry Widow.  However, if this one includes Italy in its title, it must be good.  I must say, with the stylishness-blackishness get-up I am wearing, I think I kinda look Italian-ish...in Los Angeles.

We drive.

Surprise, surprise.  $5 dress-rehearsal-car-people parking!  $5 parking at the Music Center?  No way.  But so it was. 

We pay.  We park.  We step up to the Music Center.



We arrive before intermission.  We are allowed to take our seats, in the balcony, prior to the Second Act.  They offer us a synopsis.  Great!  I don't speak Italian!  I glance at the synopsis.  But, alas, my granny glasses are at home.  Nevertheless, The Husband, 5 years my senior, is able to read the synopsis....sans granny glasses.  What's wrong with that picture?

We choose our seats....in the balcony.  And without me fainting, falling and seizing from the altitude, we take our seats.  That Dorothy Chandler has some step up, steep up, high up seats!  I look out to the stage and, before I begin watching the singers, I notice the Super Titles.  Great!  I don't speak Italian!  And, I don't need my granny glasses!

Singers are singing.  Actors acting.  Movers moving. Two women fight over one man.  Two men fight over one woman.  Beautiful costumes.  Gorgeous sets.  And a trailer park.....on stage.


20 minutes later:  Intermission...kinda!  We could sit there for another hour, yet.  For all others, they could use a break.

One coffee and a diet coke, please!  That will be one hundred million bazillion bucks, Sir. Okay.

The Chimes ring.  4 times.  Maybe 5.

Second Act:

Two men bargain over one woman.  Two women scheme after one man.  Beautiful costumes.  Gorgeous sets. And...

One Masquerade Ball!

Four golden walls surround the set.  Beautiful stone steps are set in the distant upstage.  And one big, blood red carpet rolled out onto the floor just stage right to mid-stage.  This scene, that set is the most gorgeous scene/set I have ever seen.  And it is speckled with opera-extra-people, men in Fellini Black and women in Audrey Hepburn black, all mimicking having sex on, over and against all parts of that stage.  There are opera-extra-people rolling across the carpet.  Opera-extra-people on top of one another just off the carpet.  Opera-extra-people in threesomes strewn throughout the steps.  Opera-extra-people thrown against golden walls.  All beautiful, all in black, all mimicking their own version of a roll in the hay....and all happening...in slow motion!!!  

Singers?  What singers?  Thosa Italianz lika the sexo! 

And this was the style of The Ball

Audrey-Hepburny-


-Fellini-ish costumes. 

Fantastico! Impressionante!
Shortly following the Masquerade Ball, the opera comes to its climax then all is resolved.  This is no tragedy.  This is comedy.  And very funny it is!

So, I suppose, I can now say I've been to The Opera...kinda.  I definitely got the flavor.  Furthermore, I was surprised that I enjoyed it.   I wasn't there long enough to fall asleep or bored enough to fidget in my seat.  I'd definitely attend again...even kinda!
Ciao for now!
k

No comments:

Post a Comment