Friday, February 4, 2011

RUNNING TO THE OSCARS

It's February 4th and I'm just about to round the corner to get to that final stretch as I approach the finish line; going full-force, at tremendous speed, with dedication and both eyes on the......


MOVIE SCREEN


The Finish Line:  The Oscars!!!

Me and my movie girls take the Academy Awards seriously, and we're all on a fast track to knocking off all the movies we can before The Night of the Academy Awards.  We put down wagers.  It's serious. 

Well, now I'm that tortoise who's catchin' up to those hares! Take THAT movie-girl-goer-chick-people-persons!!!

Okay, gettin' a little ahead of myself!

Most of those movies girls have an "IN" to NOT borrowing free movies from their connections; connections who belong to the Screen Actors Guild, the Writers Guild, the Directors Guild, the Direct Line to Heaven Guild, etc. who get free films to watch in exchange for a nomination (or not).  Consequently, these girls have been gaining ground.

What I do have, though, is an IN to an IN to an IN of which I have been lucky enough to have NOT borrowed two movies thus far.  Not as many as my cohorts. However, two movies, nonetheless: "I Love You Philip Morris" and  "The Fighter".  And I'm hoping when people are finished I can NOT borrow 127 Hours.  But that may be a crap shoot.   In any case, at this point, I'm still trailing the pack.

Another way to catch the nominated movies for free is via the Internet.  A couple of studios have wised up to the fact that many people DON'T borrow Guild member's movies and provide only online access to their films.  These movies, apparently, spontaneously combust after 24 hours from logging in.  And you may only view them once.  This way only three heads can fit around a screen...the computer screen. 

My head, as of this day, has not yet been invited. I may have to change deodorant.

Many of these girls are also invited to screenings at many of their friends' homes who are Screen Actors Guild people, the Writers Guild people, the Director's Guild people, the Direct Line to Heaven Guild people, etc.  Good for them!

So in January I had to begin checking off my movie list.  I had to start the race with an open wallet...

Black Swan
The Kids are All Right (summertime movie)
True Grit
Social Network

 
Then I opened the change purse to DVD releases...

Toy Story 3
Inception
The Town

I still needed to catch up!  Obviously, I haven't even seen half the movies nominated.  Crap!

As the end of January was fast approaching...and I was running out of movie money, The Husband and Me got invited to a screening!  At a house.  With lawn chairs.  A Big Screen TV.   And Loud Speakers.  And people that talk.  And food.  And wine.  And chocolate bars. Yippee!!! 

I laid back my lawn chair to The King's Speech - Brilliant!!! 

I figured I've seen what's going to win Best Picture.  And, for free...with wine!

I'm gaining ground.  But still not close.
 
I counted off my check list to figure out how many films I've seen from each nomination list:

8 feature, 3 actor, 4 supporting actor, 2 actress, 4 supporting actress, 1 animated feature, 3 art direction, 5 cinematography, 2 costume, 5 directing, 4 editing, 3 original score, 1 original song, 3 sound editing, 4 sound mixing, 1 visual effects, 3 adapted screenplay, 4 original screenplay.

Okay...average...my girls have probably seen a little more than that. 

Nevertheless, as sometimes funny things happen...

unexpectedly...
magically...
and, on occasion, gratuitously...

this past week...
I GOT THE GOLDEN TICKET!!! 

I was asked by an Academy Member to be the go-to-after-the-husband-turns-her-down date to accompany her to the Linwood Dunn Theater in Hollywood to watch any and every nominated film for the next couple weeks!!!!  



I really luck because her husband doesn't like to sit through more than one film at a time, let alone the ones that don't speak English, so I'm pretty much guaranteed a seat in that theater whenever she goes.  She's part of the pack o' movie chicks. She wagers too.  She's serious.

The very first showing started last Saturday at 10 am sharp!  We get there at 9:45 am sharp!  We sit fourth row down from the top on the right side of the theater.  We melt into the cushy chairs.  Turn off our phones.  And still have enough time to chat a little.

We spend two mornings and two afternoons back to back in that theater.  By the end of the weekend, I feel like this is my second home.  Same time, same place, same seats.

Saturday
Dogtooth, Greece
Outside the Law, Algeria

Sunday
In a Better World, Denmark
Incendies, Canada

 
All four foreign language films were great! 

Interesting..disturbing...educational...disturbing...sweet...beautiful...disturbing...disturbing...disturbing...with one Great Twist In The End!

We discuss.  Listen to other's discuss.  And...listen to other's disgust....of which I don't understand...but to each his own.

We return on...

Monday
Restrepo
Waste Land

Both documentaries are great! 

Compelling...eye-opening...compelling...compelling...happy....sad...  hopeful...educational...disturbing...thought provoking.

We discuss.  Listen to others discuss.  There was no disgust.

It hasn't ended.  I'm going back this weekend...to my second home.  I'm on my way.  Down that final stretch...at full speed.  I'm going to knock off two more documentaries.  A few shorts. Live-action?  Animation?  Some not available to many movie goers.  I may take a lead.

I realize I still have to open my wallet to a couple more...probably Biutiful and Winter's Bone...the Academy's schedule and my schedule don't fit.  But so far it's been a great movie adventure this year.  And...
 
...I'm catchin' up, suckas!!!

Ciao for now!
k


No comments:

Post a Comment