Monday, January 17, 2011

I'M A FOOD TRUKKEE!!!

Fried Chicken!  My downfall!  I've never cooked fried chicken in my life, but I've certainly made plenty of trips to Popeye's.  In the past few years, Popeye's has been my go-to for my pick-me-ups and birthday lunches.

Last Friday closed a very busy week for me
at work,
at home....
.....on the internet.

Both my colleague and I were starving for a little comfort....comfort food.

She too had a busy week
at work,
at home....
....on the internet.  

Since it wasn't Martini-o-clock, we decided to chase down a food truck before our afternoon meeting.   Fortunately, or unfortunately...depending on how you look at it, in 2011, "chasing down" a food truck doesn't mean getting into your car, speeding through L.A. streets, then chasing food fragrances 'til you find the truck.  "Chasing down" means sitting on your butt and madly searching the web looking to determine the location and schedule of each truck.

Food trucks.  Very popular in Los Angeles.  But have I eaten at one?  Nope.  They kinda made me "ascared"!  How clean can they be?  Tasty food, really?  How long do I have to stand in line?  Or will I...

...accidentally-get-run-down-when-they-don't-see-me-(comma)-the-last-starving-person-at-the-end-of-the-line-when-2:00-rolls-around-and-they-have-to-be-to-their-next-location-by-3:00? 

I've been close to fulfilling this little adventure.  Last year, my daughter and I planned a trip downtown to the 1st annual food truck fair.  We planned a day of walking from truck to truck, tasting distinctive flavors, and evaluating the food trucks to visit in the future.  It would be the perfect introduction to this new fare.  Not only would we able to experience their foods and distinctive flavors, but the trucks were immobile for one full day.  It was pretty much guaranteed that we wouldn't...

...accidentally-get-run-down-when-they-don't-see-me-(comma)-the-last-starving-person-at-the-end-of-the-line-when-2:00-rolls-around-and-they-have-to-be-to-their-next-location-by-3:00.

My daughter and I hopped on the subway, arrived downtown, walked up to the last person in line who was a little over a 1/4 mile from the gate, did a sharp about-face, and hopped right back on that subway. 


Everybody and their monkey were there. 



It was packed.  Being sold out after only an hour, imagine our disappointment when our food truck adventure was thwarted.   Not for long, though....


So...this Friday had perfect timing.  My colleague whipped out her Droid,  I skimmed the sites, and we each "chased down" the LudoTruck.  The Fried Chicken Truck!  Perfect for me!  She's from Kentucky.  Need I say more?  Perfect for her!  Meeting time:  12:30.  Actually 12:50 since she works on PLT (Pacific Later Time).
 

I was on the road, and, in no time, located the truck.  I parked my car about 1/4 mile away...and started my approach to the Ludo Food Truck.





There it was...the Big Red Truck with a Big Angry Chicken.  To my surprise, it looked clean, it looked tasty.....and it looked like we had to stand in a very, very long line to get in our order.  I was anxious to give it a try! That was okay!

Finally, our turn!

I ordered the Buttermilk Chicken Strips with Thai coleslaw and Fries, Bearnaise Sauce on the side.  I was hungry!



My colleague ordered the Chicken sandwich with Thai coleslaw and Fries, Bearnaise Sauce in the sandwich.  She was excited!

 #61 was the last order in line.  So we backed away from the truck just in case we ...

...accidentally-got-run-down-when-they-don't-see-me-(comma)-the-last-starving-person-at-the-end-of-the-line-when-2:00-rolls-around-and-they-have-to-be-to-their-next-location-by-3:00.

We waited.  And waited.  And waited.  But that was okay!

#61 was called and we grabbed our food.  The meals were packed up in these tight, sturdy packets...perfect to eat from your lap and not to leak, drip or soak through the carton.  They were pretty cool...never saw anything so perfectly packed.  But where were our fries?  We counted.  I had 13.  She had 10.  I guess they've joined the bandwagon to fighting obesity.

We gobbled up the food.  The chicken was fantastic...alotta chicken with alotta fried.  I was stuffed and happy.  Although, it was no Popeye's, it was delicious.  Then we were onto the afternoon meeting with a full belly and a nice happy outlook for the weekend.

Note:  I would definitely eat like this again...and again...and again....

'Cause now... I'm a Food Trukkee! 

Ciao for now!
k

3 comments:

  1. Karen, I am sooo a food trukkee. Check out No Jodas (cuban food) truly awesome, lots of food and good prices. Also, Babies Bad Ass Burgers hilarious menu and good as well. Welcome to my food coma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martini-o-clock... my new favorite word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I am a recovering PLT'er.

    ReplyDelete