Monday, January 10, 2011

PIPPI LONGSTOCKING


...the Great Adventurer!  Mischievous! Brave! Energetic! Wild! Unconventional!  Pippi Longstocking had the super-human strength of 10 policemen and could lift a horse over her head while standing on her big toe. Most likely, Pippi swore like a sailor and sat on the toilet with the door wide open.  She broke all girl rules. And she could create an adventure out of anything and everything.  My idol!  My childhood idol!  Everything I wanted to be, but dare not....not while living under my parents’ roof!

As a child, during summer “naptimes” (rather, my “supposed-to-be-nap-but-reading-times”), I would be alone in my room where Astrid Lindgren had me captivated with Pippi and her two well-mannered neighbors, Annika and Tommy, and all their adventures.   Even though Annika and Tommy were curious, they were cautious and well-behaved, as children should be.  But in my book, BORING.  I so wished to be Pippi.  But I had all the qualities of Annika.  That was me.  BORING.  I didn't want to admit it.  I daydreamed that I was Pippi, living those adventures, bending the rules, and living life on my terms.

The Daydream Interrupted Scenario:

Interviewer, James Lipton (the Inside the Actor’s Studio guy):  Dearest child, if you could choose a character from a book who most likely reflects your personality, who would that be?

Karen:  Why, Pippi Longstocking, of course!



ZZZZ..ZAP!!!!  Lipton's taser shock!  WRONG!!!

Nope…FACE IT...I was  Annika.  Well-behaved. Well-mannered.  Kind. Considerate. Conventional.  Ridiculously Good-Looking.

Throughout childhood, I read Astrid Lindgren’s Pippi Longstocking books over and over again…imagining myself as Pippi…admiring her intelligence, her strength, her independence…wanting for adventure…. knowing that one day, when I’m all “growed up,” I would be the master of my destiny.  I would create my own adventures.  I would be like Pippi...Have no fear!  Have more adventure!

Well, I’m all “growed-up.”  Marriage, raising children, and working have become my adventures.   But my babies don’t need me as much anymore.  I’m settled in marriage.  Settled in work.  I want a little more.  I need a little more.  I want something new.


While I've learned to appreciate many of my Annika qualities, I have picked up a few Pippi qualities.  Though, I don’t swear like a sailor, I have added “Holy Crap,” “Bi-otch” and “What the Heck?” to my vocabulary.  I haven't fought pirates on the open seas, but I have been on sailing ships and sailing trips.  Even though, I'm still uncomfortable breaking rules and can't hold a horse over my head, I do take a few more risks and I am a little bit stronger.  But what I now have most in common with Pippi is seeking adventures, big or small, challenging or dull...I intend to seek adventures and find something new out of every day through this part of life...."midlife"!!!   

k

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Karen! This is awesome! I'm looking forward to following along with your adventures! You are one of the most amazing people I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool, Karen! I want to join you! Swearing is a big challenge for me, but I Do say "What the heck" more often lately. Am I qualified? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys!!!! Brenda...you are too flattering. This writing thing is an adventure in itself. Marguarita...you made it over the fence...you qualify!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was GREAT, Karen! You are STILL adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Karen, welcome to the blog world, can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete